Log in

George W. Lininger Residence

02/28/2024 7:18 PM | Jonathan Krainak (Administrator)

The G. W. Lininger house was originally built by J. S. McCormick in 1859, in the "Second Empire" style, which was very popular then. It was constructed of brick by Withnell Brothers. When George W. Lininger came to Omaha in 1873, he lived first on the SE corner of 17th and Dodge Street. In 1879, he bought the J. S. McCormick mansion. This was his home for the remainder of his life until his death in 1907. In 1886, he had plans made for the construction of the art gallery addition. This was completed in 1888. 


The area where this house stood was known as "Capitol Hill", as it was in the near vicinity of the Nebraska Territorial Capitol building (site of present-day Central High School). George M. Mills (who was the father of Mrs. McCormick) actually built his residence on the NW corner of 18th and Capitol Avenue. 

Durham Museum Photo Archive

* Jeffrey Spencer is an Omaha historian,  Preserve Omaha board member, author and knows where alllll the bones are buried!

3902 Davenport Street Omaha, NE 68131

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software