Log in
  • Home
  • Jeffrey's Blog
  • 03/18/2024 2:35 PM | Jonathan Krainak (Administrator)

    Edward Watrous Nash and Catherine Barbeau Nash arrived in Omaha from Canada in 1868. They had recently married, and were seeking a future in the developing west. In time, Nash became president of the American Smelting and Refining Co, and a prominent member of the local business community. In the 1880s, in partnership with Guy C. Baron, he made a fortune from silver mines in Mexico. Part of those proceeds was used to purchase a two-acre tract of land on the northwest corner of 38th and Burt Streets (3806 Burt). Here he built his large ornate residence in 1886. A large barn with a high lantern cupola and stable were also on the property. Nash named the $30,000 estate, "Pleasant Hill" as North 38th was then known as "Pleasant Street"


    The two and one-half story was constructed in wood and a highly ornamental covered porch surrounded the exterior of the first level.  The mansion had 25 rooms. The central feature of the house was a three-story rounded tower, capped by a high cupola with a circular balcony on the second level. The interior was finished in exotic solid hardwoods, that included mahogany, cherry and bird's-eye maple.

    In January 1909, there was a very serious fire at the Nash mansion. It was  severely damaged.  After the fire, the house was refurbished, and the exterior "Victorian" tower and cupola were removed. When you look at the photo from the newspaper in 1933, you see no "tower". The dining room chandelier fell to the floor as a  result of the fire, and when the house was repaired, there was a very costly crystal chandelier put in. When the Nash family moved out of the house they had that chandelier placed in the ceiling of the "Nash Chapel" at St. Cecelia's Cathedral.   It is still there today.

    After the death of E.W. Nash in July 1905, Mrs. Nash continued to reside in the home until her passing in 1928. After being vacant for 5 years, the property was sold and the lot divided. In January 1933 the Chambers Wrecking Co. razed the house and salvaged the beautiful interior for resale.

    * Jeffrey Spencer is an Omaha historian,  Preserve Omaha board member, author and knows where alllll the bones are buried!

  • 02/28/2024 7:18 PM | Jonathan Krainak (Administrator)

    The G. W. Lininger house was originally built by J. S. McCormick in 1859, in the "Second Empire" style, which was very popular then. It was constructed of brick by Withnell Brothers. When George W. Lininger came to Omaha in 1873, he lived first on the SE corner of 17th and Dodge Street. In 1879, he bought the J. S. McCormick mansion. This was his home for the remainder of his life until his death in 1907. In 1886, he had plans made for the construction of the art gallery addition. This was completed in 1888. 


    The area where this house stood was known as "Capitol Hill", as it was in the near vicinity of the Nebraska Territorial Capitol building (site of present-day Central High School). George M. Mills (who was the father of Mrs. McCormick) actually built his residence on the NW corner of 18th and Capitol Avenue. 

    Durham Museum Photo Archive

    * Jeffrey Spencer is an Omaha historian,  Preserve Omaha board member, author and knows where alllll the bones are buried!

3902 Davenport Street Omaha, NE 68131

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software